Gu Qin Lessons
Learn how to play one of China’s oldest string instruments!
With a history that dates back over 3000 years, the guqin has deep roots in Chinese culture, associated with traditional scholars, philosophy, meditation, and poetry.
Come Study. . .
Gu Qin Fingering Technique
– we stress the importance of a strong foundation in fingering technique, intonation, and basic rhythm
– understanding of gu qin notation, symbols, and references
Gu Qin Music
– Regional Schools: examination of the various historic schools of gu qin, like the Guangling and Mei An schools
– Old Masters: review of the styles and interpretations of the old gu qin masters, like Zhang Ziqian and Wu Jinglue
Chinese History, Poetry, and Culture
– History: the gu qin’s historical development and context
– Poetry: connection with the scholar and association with singing poetry
– Culture: impact from philosophy, relationship with art and tea
Private and Group lessons available
No musical experience needed
Please contact us to inquire about lesson times and tuition